Maximizing Learning and Potential
Birch Family Services provides children, adolescents, and adults with autism and developmental disabilities with opportunities to reach their fullest potential. To that end, our individualized education and community services programs offer comprehensive and practical supportive services across the lifespan.
Our education programs enhance the lives of individuals from age 3 to 21 as they maximize their life skills through greater educational, occupational, and social opportunities. We identify specific areas of need and provide therapeutic intervention to young children as appropriate. Children at risk of developmental delays that are referred by the NYC Department of Education receive a comprehensive developmental assessment at no cost to families from our Evaluation Unit. We also provide students and families participating in our school-age program with assistance in developing a transition plan for success in graduating from high school and obtaining lifelong occupational and vocational roles.
Our Community Services, including Residences for Children and Adults, Day and Community Habilitation, Family Support and Life Skills Services, offer participants opportunities to develop greater independence through participation in site based and community activities that are of interest to those we support and are designed to foster skill development, enhance socialization, promote community inclusion, relationship building, encourage self-advocacy and support informed choice.
A person-centered approach is used to explore available options based upon interests and services needed to support a self-defined quality of life.
In all that we do, we treat each person as an individual with their own unique abilities and help them to lead fulfilling lives whether engaging in educational, vocational, social, recreational, health and other life pursuits.
Impacting the Lives of People with Complex Needs
- Our Education Program provides all students with access to a general education curriculum and the opportunity to successfully accomplish their educational goals in a supportive environment.
- Community Services provides individualized job skills, life skills, and independent community living programs.
- Our New Frontier program connects young adults with employment services, social and recreational programs, and health and wellness providers.
- We empower and educate families by providing resources to help them advocate, navigate, and access critical support services for their loved ones.
- We combine leadership and administrative expertise with compassion, delivered by a team of dedicated educators and social services experts.
- Birch Institute training programs are highly sought after by public and private organizations.
- We are committed to filling the gaps in services where such exists.
“I couldn’t be happier with my family’s experience at Birch. The school my son attends is small and you get to know everybody. Everyone seems to know my child.”- Omayra, Birch Family Services Parent
Ways to Get Involved
If you believe children with autism and developmental disabilities – no matter their ability to pay – should be provided with educational opportunities that can lead to fulfilling, more meaningful lives, please help support Birch Family Services in one or more of the following ways:
- Help with building agency awareness and visibility.
- Provide corporate employment and work opportunities.
- Become an individual or corporate volunteer.
- Support/participate in our fundraising events (Spring Gala, 5K, and more).
- Make an individual or corporate donation. (Does your company match gifts?)
- Become a Board member.